A deep cycle battery is a lead battery that is crafted to provide maximum sustained power over a long period and run reliably and after maximum discharge, it needs to be recharged. The battery is allowed to run for a maximum capacity of 80% or more before its full capacity is used and ready to be recharged for optimal working again.
The 100Ah deep cycle marine battery has some similarities to a starter battery but the difference is that the 100Ah deep cycle battery is manufactured to discharge to its maximum which means it consumes almost or all of its power whereas a starter battery is designed in a way that it discharges short high powered currents that help to jump-start an engine. This in the process, allows it to only discharge smaller parts of its maximum power capacity.
The deep cycle battery though allowing maximum consumption of its power is designed to be used up until 20% of its juice is remaining. Most of the deep cycle batteries are rated in Amp Hours (AH). This is a unit that is used when measuring the amount of energy used by the battery which helps to provide power for a longer period of time.
The bigger batteries give out high volts of energy and vice versa. So, the smaller deep cycle batteries usually have a range rate of 25-50 AH meanwhile the bigger batteries are often rated at an AH of 100.
While the amp hour’s measurement might seem like a measure of time, it is the actual amount of time a deep cycle battery can last while maintaining as a reliable power source that is completely dependent on the current needed by the trolling motor or any other electric powered appliances and devices that is in-use.
The greater the current being taken in by the device, the faster the battery’s capacity will be consumed to its total energy. This means it is necessary to remember and consider the energy amount that is going to be needed by the in-use electric equipment or trolling motor before deciding to get yourself a deep cycle battery.
The 100 Ah deep cycle batteries can be grouped into two main different types
- Flooded cells – these release hydrogen gas and must constantly be checked by adding distilled water to control the acidity levels in the cells. Must work in an upright position to prevent acid leaks.
- Valve Regulated Lead Acid – these are sealed, maintenance-free and work in any position.
Deep cycle batteries provide sustainable energy, making them very ideal for multiple uses other than when you require a quick start. Some of the most common uses for a deep cycle battery include:
- Marine use. In this case, a hybrid battery can also work as a substitute.
- In recreational vehicles.
- Handling heavy machinery.
- In golf carts.
- For Off-grid renewable energy.
When It Comes To Maintenance:
- Ensure that your deep cycle batteries don’t discharge to under the 20 percent of the full capacity, this is due to the fact that the resistance that happens inside could cause heat and other damages when recharging.
- Store your deep cycle batteries at a lower temperature, to slow down the chemical reactions in the batteries but it’s not recommended to refrigerate the battery as it needs to be at room temperature for optimal working.
- The batteries generally require a significant amount of oversight although the lithium-ion generation of battery features a very useful automated management system which makes its need for monitoring close to nil.
Deep cycle batteries are very multipurpose and can be beneficial in many ways but they can also come with their own dangers if not carefully selected when purchasing or when it’s not properly maintained.
Battery safety is of the utmost importance when it comes to deep cycle batteries. Like any other battery, they are also prone to battery explosion. A deep cycle battery explosion can occur as a result of overcharging, valve failure in the free lead-acid battery, misuse or even a malfunction of the battery. Such battery hazards can cause severe injuries thus battery safety and proper maintenance are highly advised when it comes to its usage.
So, when it comes to deciding whether or not to get a deep cycle battery, you might be right to consider it as it comes with many benefits as listed above and it has very functional architectural design which favors its purpose benefiting the user when it is properly used and maintained.